Osprey Special Editions (Military) : The D-Day Companion
Published to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Normandy landings, this book brings together the perspectives and opinions of some of the most respected military historians working today. More than a dozen leading historians from either side of the Atlantic have collaborated to produce a unique and incisive examination of the momentous events that surrounded June 6,1944. Operation Overlord saw some of the Allies' greatest military strategists, Eisenhower and Montgomery, pit their wits against Hitler in a bold bid to liberate continental Europe. Each chapter of this new book focuses on a different aspect the D-Day landings, from the build-up to the attack to the experiences of the troops on the ground. Text by Steven J Zaloga with illustrations by Jim Laurier.
- A Great Crusade?
- 'Remember this is an Invasion', Sir Winston Churchill, 7 April 1944
- 'The Great Shadow-Boxing Match', Lieutenant-General Sir Frederick Morgan, in 'Overture to Overlord'
- 'A Very Lofty Perch', Field Marshall Montgomery, 1944
- 'Throw Them Back', Field Marshall Erwin Rommel - Commandant of German Army Group B
- 'In the Air, on the Ground, and in the Factories', General Arnold, Commander of US Army Air Forces in his Christmas 1943 address
- 'The Greatest Military Armada ever Launched', Ken Garrett, LSR2, Ret'd
- 'A Visitor to Hell', Pvt. Charles Neighbor, 29th Division, Omaha Beach
- 'Blood Upon the Risers', 'Blood Upon the Risers', the Paratrooper's Song
- 'Their Road will be Long and Hard', Roosevelt's Prayer to the Nation on D-Day
- 'With Unbelieving Eyes', Franz Gockel, German Soldier at D-Day
- 'Much the Greatest Thing We have ever Attempted', Winston Churchill to President Roosevelt
- 'The Eyes of the World', General Dwight D. Eisenhower, D-Day, 6 June 1944
Osprey Special Editions (Military)