Osprey Aviation Elite 19 : Jagdgeschwader Nr II Geschwader 'Berthold'
After struggling with inadequate supplies of aircraft and material, the veteran pilots of the Geschwader would go on to enjoy incredible successes against French and American opponents in September 1918. Aces who flew the famous blue fuselaged Fokkers of JG II included such stalwarts as Josef Veltjens (35 kills), Georg von Hantelmann (25 kills), Franz Buchner (40 kills) and Ulrich Neckel (30 kills). This book contains many first hand accounts by these and other notable aces, which reveal the esprit de corps and camaraderie these airmen displayed in their struggles against superior numbers up to the war's final grim days. Text by Greg VanWyngarden with illustrations by Harry Dempsey.
- Born in Battle : The Early Career of JG II's Jastas and the Geschwader's Formation : February 1918
- Operation Michael : The Unit's Story During the Great German offensive of March 1918
- Equipment Troubles : Operations During April-May Through the Rheims Offensive of July 1918
- Spectacular September : Operations Against Primarily American forces During the St Mihiel Offensive, Flying the Fokker D VII
- Bitter End : Retreat and Demobilization, and the War's Aftermath
- Jagdstaffel and Geschwader Commanders of JG II
- Awards Made to JG II Pilots 1918
- Listing of Aces
Osprey Aviation Elite